Home | National | Thousands Face Starvation As Masvingo Governor Bans Ngos

Thousands Face Starvation As Masvingo Governor Bans Ngos

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Thousands Face Starvation As Masvingo Governor Bans Ngos

By Roy Chikara Masvingo, February 15, 2012 - Provincial governor, Titus Maluleke on Tuesday left thousands of people in the province exposed to hunger and starvation after he banned over 50 local and international Nongovernmental Organisations (Ngos) from operating in the province.

The Zanu (PF) top official who is also the Chiredzi senator summoned all NGO’s to his boardroom in the morning and breathed fire accusing them of doing clandestine activities in  the province instead of their duties, a move that has been described as political by NGO’s.

Maluleke who was accompanied by top military and other security forces accused NGO leaders of helping starving villagers with food aid as a way of campaigning for bitter rivals in the shaky coalition government, the Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai led Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

The security forces leaders accompanying Maluleke are members of the provincial Joint Operations Command (JOC) comprising of the ZNA army commanders, ZRP Provincial leader, ZPS provincial leader and the dreaded President Robert Mugabe Spy agency leaders in the province.

The organisations are also accused of defying his order to register with his office by December 31 last year.

“I have called this meeting following the other two we held late last year to deal with some of your organisations.  I have realised that most of you did not comply with my order to register with my office for you to operate in my province. As such I am banning operations to those organisations that have not complied with my directive. The ban is with immediate effect and no operation or will be made in my province forthwith,” said Maluleke.

Maluleke accused the organisations of meddling in politics by pursuing the regime change agenda and labelled them foot soldiers of MDC.

But National Association of Non Governmental Organisations (NANGO) was quick to lambast the governor saying the implications of the ban were consequential to the rural populace.

“The move definitely has negative implications on the rural men and women who were relying on these organisations to survive as this means they are will not get food aid with immediate effect.
However as Nango we are very much disturbed by the governor’s move and we strongly condemn the ban. The ban is an attempt to stifle the operations of our members and we urge him to lift the ban,” said Sylvester Chin’anga, Nango regional chairperson who attended the meeting.

HIV/AIDS organisations and institutions of the disabled and handicapped were also not spared leaving patients of the deadly dieses and vulnerable people with disabilities to face hard times.
Organisations banned included, Care International Bikita, World Vision, Jairos Jiri, Zimbabwe Aids Network just to mention a few.

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

0