Harare, February 10, 2016 – Drought affected Zimbabwe requires a staggering $1,5 billion to feed nearly 3 million starving citizens, livestock and also revive obsolete agro-based infrastructure, Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa revealed on Tuesday.
Mnangagwa said funds were being mobilised to cater for food and nutrition, agriculture, water, education and energy sector.
He chairs a cabinet taskforce appointed last week to spearhead anti-drought strategies.
“Based on these needy sectors,” he said, “the government of Zimbabwe requires a total of US$1 572 009 953.00 with effect from February to December 2016.
“This is for providing humanitarian assistance in the short to medium term also taking into account sustainable measures which will assist in the event that the drought prolongs to the 2016/17 agricultural season.”
Mnangagwa was officially launching the 2016-17 drought disaster appeal for assistance Tuesday evening.
The event, also attended by captains of industry, was held at government’s Munhumutapa building.
The Vice President also said $717 292 000 was required for grain imports, $350 million for irrigation and infrastructure and $199 659 077 for school feeding programmes, among others.
Mnangagwa said the donations could come from both individuals and corporates, local and abroad in the form of cash, food and non food items.
He denied when questioned by journalists that Zanu PF was in the habit of denying food assistance to opposition followers.