Johannesburg, April 23, 2014-Independent Communications Authority councillor, Rueben Mohlaloga says the authority is still waiting for confirmation from the SABC with regards to an EFF complaint in order for a court hearing date to be set.
This comes after the public broadcaster pulled an EFF election advertisement off air, citing that it incites violence.
In the advert, the EFF says it will physically destroy e-tolls in Gauteng if it gains power.
Earlier this month, the SABC also canned a DA TV advert on similar grounds, but restored it after a hearing by the same Icasa committee ruled in its favour.
Mohlaloga says the Complaints and Compliance Committee will hear a complaint from the SAPS on the same DA advert, which shows police aiming rifles at members of the public.
He says the SAPS complaint will be dealt as a different matter outside of that of the EFF.
The advertisement will be flighted until a decision has been made.
Mohlaloga says all these issues put the role of Icasa in the spotlight as an appeal authority for all broadcasters and all political parties concerned. – Edited by Paballo Lephaka