Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta believes the International Crimes Court (ICC) has done a poor job with investigations of charges against him, denying him and victims of the post-election violence justice, according to Kenya State House Spokesperson, Manoah Esipisu.
Esipisu said on Friday: “He thinks that the cases were shoddily investigated.” Esipisu says the ICC has let Kenyatta down and that it has let the victims of that violence down by doing such a shoddy job. “It means that neither he nor the victims have got any justice.” said Esipisu.
Prosecutors withdrew charges of crimes against humanity against Kenyatta earlier on Friday, marking a failure for the ICC in the highest-profile case in its 11-year history.
Judges in The Hague had on Wednesday given prosecutors a week to decide whether to proceed against Kenyatta, who was accused of fomenting ethnic violence after the 2007 election, or withdraw the charges.
Prosecutors have said Kenyatta, the first sitting president to have attended a session of the court, used his powers to obstruct the investigation, especially since becoming head of state last year. Kenyatta’s lawyers denied this.
Cases against Kenyatta and his Deputy President William Ruto are the highest-profile proceedings in the history of the court. The ICC was set up 11 years ago to handle cases concerning international crimes that local courts cannot handle.