“I have been told by the Ministry of Home Affairs that they are investigating the issue surrounding the delays in the completion of the statue. They are investigating to find out why progress has been stalled and to see the way forward,” said the Director of the National Museums and Monuments of Zimbabwe (NMMZ), Dr Godfrey Mahachi.
Dr Mahachi said the project that was abandoned two weeks ago.
“Progress on the site of the statue should not take time. If the ministry is investigating the cause of the stoppage, it should not take more than two weeks to resume,” he said.
The co-minister of Home Affairs, Kembo Mohadi said he would make a formal announcement when work on site resumes.
He refused to be drawn to disclose the reasons behind the delays on the completion of the re-erection of the statue.
Last week media reports said Zanu (PF) whose national people’s conference kicks off in earnest on Thursday were trying to rush contractors to finish the construction of the statue so that President Mugabe would unveil it during the conference.
Early this year, Mohadi announced that the project was supposed to be completed before Heroes Day commemorations in August but the contractors failed to beat the deadline.
Nkomo’s statue was pulled down last September with the family alleging it had been by-passed and did not capture the exact attributes of the late Father Zimbabwe who died in 1999.