Makedenge Rules Out Foul Play As Family Hints on Possible Exhumation

“We have got no tangible evidence to suspect any foul play,” Makedenge told court on Friday while summing up his testimony.

Makedenge, who is Deputy Officer Commanding Harare’s CID Law and Order division, said police had found nothing to suggest the late Mujuru could have been assassinated.

“No one came with any evidence that would have suggested any foul play. That was the case even from the reports that we got from ZESA, Fire Brigade and forensic science laboratory,” he said.

As IO,  Makedenge co-ordinated all the evidence – both ordinary and expert.

His assertions were in sharp contrast with those of the late Mujuru family, whose lawyer has formally applied to be allowed to invite a South African pathologist, Dr Perumal.

Asked to justify this, family lawyer Thekor Kewada said this was inspired by past experiences where results from more than one pathologist usually differ.

“We respectfully request that the application be granted,” said Kewada, “The doctor has been identified and he is prepared to come. Whether this means the body must be exhumed to facilitate this examination, we are prepared for it.”

Presiding magistrate, Walter Chikwana will on Monday rule on the application.

Commenting about the 17 firearms recovered among the debris in Mujuru’s burnt house, ballistics expert Detective Inspector Admire Mutizwa, said all but one gun were “commercial weapons”, which can be owned by none military persons for hunting purposes.

Mutizwa, the 29th witness in the high profile inquest, said among the 17 weapons, an AK47 assault rifle belonged to the army.

He further told court 6kg of ammunition were also recovered inMujuru’s house, with all the bullets having exploded due to intense heat.

He spoke of having examined each and every bullet and establishing that none had been fired from a weapon.

Kumbirai Rungano Mujuru, first born daughter to the late Mujuru, told court she did not recall much about the circumstances that immediately followed the discovery of his father’s remains as she was ‘hysterically emotional’ to notice any small  details at the scene.

However, it emerged in court; Mujuru was buried before forensic examinations could establish he was indeed the one who died in the inferno.

This was after Makedenge, the IO, told court the DNA test, which came days after, had established the remains were 99,9 percent positive.

The last witness of the day, the 31st since the inquest started, was Dr Edward Fusire, a medical doctor employed by the police, who only  told court he was asked by the IO to extract blood samples from Mujuru’s daughter, Kumbirai for DNA.

The case resumes Monday where more witnesses are set to testify.