PRESS STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE MEMBERS OF ZANU (PF) TO THE CITIZENS OF ZIMBABWE.
NO 1 OF 2015
Fellow Comrades and Friends:
We are pleased to address you on behalf of all the loyal members of ZANU (PF) who are determined to restore the image of our party. Needless to say, this is a response to the unprecedented and destructive events before, during and after the so-called “6th National People’s Congress” held unconstitutionally in December 2014, the summary expulsions and suspensions of loyal members and the imposition of party leadership by one person, effectively abandoning the “one-man-one-vote” that we fought for. This statement states our position and concerns and those of the members we are representing. We also make reference to the contents and substance of Cde D.N.E Mutasa’s letter to the SADC Chairman in which he asserted the following points:
- We are dismayed by the unlawful conduct leading up to and surrounding the purported congress;
- He indicated that we will remain married to the principles we fought for including, “one man one vote”, where majority rule prevails , which was not recognized in the recently unprocedurally amended ZANU PF constitution “adopted” at the illegal December meeting which masqueraded as a “Congress”. It gives all votes to the First Secretary and President alone and also violates the supreme law of the country. It is therefore, in the eyes of the majority of Zanu PF members, null and void along with all that transpired at and the purported resolutions at the so-called “Congress”.
- We call on ZANU PF to operate as it did before the so-called 6th congress, which itself was unlawful.
- We also appeal to all party members everywhere to remain peaceful as we strive for the democracy that we fought for.
- This meeting was flawed, and held outside of Zanu PF own constitutional guidelines.
As loyal members of ZANU (PF), we agree with these points and further appeal to SADC to assist in resolving this crisis created by the so-called “congress” which continues to be a serious threat to the stability of ZANU (PF), Zimbabwe and the region at large.
Before we deal with the shortcomings and illegalities of the so-called 6th National People’s Congress, we categorically refute and dismiss once and for all the allegations peddled by certain counter-revolutionaries, that Amai Mujuru and others plotted to oust the First Secretary and President of Zanu Pf and the Republic of Zimbabwe, Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe from being President through assassination.
Amai Mujuru and others categorically deny the allegations. The allegations are malicious and preposterous, and have no foundation whatsoever. It is a clear political smear campaign intended to tarnish and obliterate Amai Mujuru’s history of commitment and dedication to the liberation of this country and the betterment of the people of Zimbabwe. ZANU (PF) has never been a platform for settling personal vendettas, but a revolutionary movement with a clear mandate to foster unity, peace and development, and most importantly to champion the economic recovery of Zimbabwe. We should go back to the founding principles of the Patriotic Front.
We refuse to allow our beloved party to be destroyed by power hungry political imposters who have abused party structures for personal gain. All provinces under the leadership of the ousted chairmen had unanimously endorsed Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe as the First Secretary and President of the Party. How could they rebel against a President they have endorsed? This was propaganda which was aimed at making people fear to associate with Amai Mujuru, and must be dismissed with the contempt it deserves.
Now turning to the illegitimate congress, our position is as follows:
- WE CONDEMN THE DISREGARD OF THE ZANU (PF) CONSTITUTION
We observed a number of irregularities arising from the total disregard of the ZANU (PF) constitution in the period leading to, during and after the congress:
(a) Questionable Constitutionality of the so-called “6th National People’s Congress” of December 2014.
ZANU PF is a party that upholds its principles and guidelines as pronounced by the constitution, which has clear provisions guiding the holding of congresses and presentation of business for the congress. According to the constitution, a true Zanu PF congress must be elective, providing a free and fair platform for all the party members to elect leaders of their choice without intimidation, victimization, fear or trepidation. This unconstitutional meeting denied members of Zanu PF, their constitutional rights through often violent intimidation and coercion and the last minute illegal amendments made to the constitution. The politburo and central committee meetings immediately preceding the so-called congress were shrouded in threats, fear, and total failure to express individual opinion. This unconstitutional meeting therefore denied innocent members their constitutional right to freely elect leaders of their choice.
(b) Unprocedural changes to the Constitution.
Article 30 of the ZANU (PF) Constitution as read with section 253 states that the power to amend the Constitution shall vest in the Central Committee, and shall be ratified by Congress, BUT with the following pre conditions:
(253)(3) The Provincial Executive Council shall, in the case of all proposed amendments, whether these emanate from it or from subordinate Party organs, forward the sane to the Secretary for Administration;
(253)(4) Any proposed amendments shall be submitted to the Secretary for Administration, at least THREE MONTHS before the date of the meeting of the Central Committee at which the amendment is to be considered;
(253)(5) The Secretary for Administration, upon receipt of the proposed amendments, shall cause the same to be circulated to the Provinces at least two months before the date of meeting.
The above procedures were not followed deliberately and thus the changes made to the Zanu PF constitution are a nullity. The Central Committee remains the supreme decision making body, and hence allowing one individual or a clique to put their interests ahead of the collective interests of the majority of party members will eventually transfer power from the masses to one individual. It negates the supremacy of the Central Committee outside Congress and of Congress itself when in session.
We believe that if ZANU PF allows this to go unchallenged, we would be indirectly posing a threat to the National Constitution of the Republic of Zimbabwe. This approach to constitutionalism by a Ruling Party can pose a risk to constitutionalism at the national level.
(c) Unlawful and irregular “votes of no confidence”
Our Party is governed by a member-driven constitution with clear provisions on how issues are handled. The build up to this illegal congress was littered by a barrage of unlawful “votes of no confidence” across all the provinces. Our points of concern about these votes of no confidence are as follows:
- i) The alleged “votes of no confidence” were only aimed at people perceived to be associated with or sympathetic to the Second Secretary and Vice President of the Party Joice T R Mujuru. It must be noted that it is not a criminal offence to agree with someone’s point of view, and / or to appreciate their integrity as a leader in upholding Party values and principles. The culling of the Provincial Chairmen and people who were elected by the majority of members in their provinces by small rented crowds of hooligans, ( purporting to represent the majority provincial members who had previously voted by secret ballot) was and remains unconstitutional and therefore illegal.
- ii) We refuse therefore to allow this poisonous weed to blossom within the party for which many gallant sons and daughters have dedicated their entire political lives to and many more died in pursuit of the principle of “one man- man one vote”.
iii) The purported “votes of no confidence” were effected just before the illegal December meeting was held, without any charges or disciplinary proceedings being brought to bear on any member, let alone being completed. If the Targets were inept in the discharge of their duties within the provinces, why wait until the last minute to take action? This was a well-calculated move to instill fear in the Zanu PF rank and file and thus deprive party cadres of their right to elect leaders of their choice. If indeed these were justified, why have the same improperly elected “leaders” now issued a moratorium on the so called “vote of no confidence” processes? It is very clear, as it was then, that these “votes of no confidence” were and remain illegal. We are therefore calling on ZANU PF cadres to join us in refusing to accept the illegal congress and its outcomes, we call on our dear Comrades to stand united remain resolute in their defence of the true values of the liberation struggle towards which we ALL made contributions which has been hijacked by Amafikizolo.
“ One man one vote” – ma Comrades.”
- iv) We are therefore calling on all peace-loving patriotic and loyal ZANU (PF) cadres to join us in refusing illegality and remain resolute in our defense of the values of the struggle. We reject and dismiss the unconstitutional appointments made at this illegal meeting.
(v) Members were robbed of their constitutional right to appeal through the National Disciplinary Committee as provided for in the ZANU (PF) constitution. The continued threats on party office bearers rendered the National Disciplinary Committee powerless, and further eroding the democratic principles and values that have been the foundation of the valiant party since its inception.
(vi) The “votes of no confidence” were passed by people who were not in the party structures. How could a person elected into office by thousands in the province be removed from office by a group of people who are not even provincial members? These “votes of no confidence” were illegal, null and void. We reject the summary dismissals of people without following ZANU (PF)’s own constitution, and the basic rules of natural justice provided by the Zanu PF and National Constitutions, such as the right to be heard, free of bias and prejudice.
- WE CONDEMN THE EROSION OF INTERNAL; DEMOCRACY.
We note with regret the resultant erosion of internal democracy as follows:
According to our Party constitution, every member has a right to vote, and or be voted into any position according to Party guidelines. It is also common cause that the party has gone through unashamed violations and abuse of all the democratic tenets and common decency within the party. This has been eroded by dictatorship and personality cults created as a weapon to gain and/or retain power. One of the key values that motivated the liberation struggle was the aspect of “one-man-one-vote”, which was denied the people of this country by the Late Ian Smith regime. This has been eroded and power has been centralized into a group of selfish individuals driven by greed and hate. Instead of fostering internal democracy as espoused in the ZANU (PF) founding principles, a clique emphasizing hate politics has overtaken the original principles of the party established right at the beginning of the struggle. This clique has introduced a sinister political culture of hatred, corruption, conflict, division, indiscipline, manipulation, and recklessness, which is the antithesis of the traditional democratic norms, and characteristic of ZANU (PF).
- WE CONDEMN THE DESTRUCTIVE PRE-CONGRESS RALLIES.
The rallies leading to the so-called “6th National People’s Congress” left a trail of destruction and division in the party. Outside the party and the country’s constitutions and any moral tenets, Amai Grace Mugabe went around the country preaching the gospel of hate in the presence of our very impressionable youths and the traumatized impoverished population. The following is worth mentioning:
- Collaboration with the President.
In the build-up to this illegal congress, it became clear that this clique of evil plotters had successfully waylaid Amai Grace Mugabe and Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe and started using them as weapons to unleash venomous and uncouth statements against anyone they perceived to be standing for the original ZANU (PF) values, ideals and ethos. As upright cadres of the revolution, we resolutely and patiently waited for the cardinal direction of our elected First Secretary and President of ZANU (PF), but his customary clear and unequivocal stance did not come until this undemocratic congress. In disbelief ZANU (PF) and the whole nation listened to their leader berating his own protégés not only in the party but in government and the august house of parliamentgovernment. It will go down in the annals of our ZANU (PF) history that for the first time the elected leader alienated himself from the people by this behavior. Instead of mapping the road for Zimbabwe’s economic recovery and major policies uplifting our people, the congress became a farce and degenerated into a praise and worship playhouse.
We strongly and regrettably bemoan the fact that this clique has robbed President R.G. Mugabe of his legacy as a unifier, a rational thinker and not only a national leader, but also one who inspired the region and the continent of Africa. After the 2014 whirlwind of legislation of mob rule, summarily expulsion of loyal members for perceived support of a sitting Vice President and as mentioned above, departure from the undisputable tenet of the liberation struggle – “one man-one-vote” to imposition of leaders, we now wonder how the nation, region and continent view our once revered President.
- ILLEGITIMATE OUTCOME OF THE DECEMBER MEETING :
Given the illegality of the so-called congress, there is neither constitutional nor moral authority for it to form structures that can lead both the party and the government. We are therefore calling upon all loyal members and constitutionally elected leaders, to remain calm and promote peace as we pursue appropriate legal channels to reclaim the leadership of the party from the jaws of political vultures.
We are therefore calling for the legal:
- Nullification of the entire process of the so-called congress as constitutionally flawed.
- Re-instatement of the entire constitutionally elected office bearers of the party in all structures of all wings, as at the 1st of July 2014.
- Nullification of all purported constitutional amendments drafted and rail-roaded immediately before this so-called congress.
- Restoration of the elective dignity of congress and the one-man one vote principle as enunciated by our armed struggle and constitution.
- RESOLVING OF DIFFERENCES
The sad events of the past months reflect a deep-seated historical failure by the Party leadership to correctly handle internal contradictions in the party. Each time the party faces challenges, it resorts to brute force. It fails to sum up its mistakes and experiences and provide durable solutions. Contradictions within the party and society as a whole are natural and expected, but these are non antagonistic and should be resolved through debate, dialogue and negotiations. Leaders’ energy should be channeled towards enhancing democracy, freedom and unity within the party. Constructive criticism and self-criticism are some of the positive core values of the liberation movement and should be encouraged and embraced.
This statement is issued in the broad interest of democracy and in defense of the ZANU (PF) founding principles.
Pamberi ne Zanu PF
Pambili le Zanu PF
COMRADE D.N.E MUTASA
SECRETARY FOR ADMINISTRATION
On behalf of the following:
- The entire membership of the party who believe in constitutional law and authority, and the principle of one-man one vote.
- All elected office bearers who have been unconstitutionally and unceremoniously removed from office without charge.
- All current office bearers who recognize and accept that they are unconstitutionally appointed.
- All past members of ZANU (PF), expelled or who dissociated with Zanu PF voluntarily in prior years due to perceived the lack of democratic principles and practice in the party.