Mliswa Freed On Bail

Mliswa applied for bail in cases involving an alleged fraud of US$3,5 million at the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) and the other on charges of stealing generators from white commercial farmers about eight years ago.

Mliswa was granted US$1000 bail and was ordered to reside at his Borrowdale house and report to police homicide section every day.

He was also ordered not to travel beyond the 40 kilometre radius from his house and was also instructed not to interfere with witnesses.

In passing the ruling, magistrate Don Ndirowei said Mliswa was a good candidate for bail considering that the cases he is facing were committed many years ago while some of the cases brought before the courts were withdrawn either by the complainants or the police.

“The court finds that there is no reasonable suspicion that the accused will abscond given that he has been facing the cases since 2002 but has remained in the country.

“The state had also failed to prove how the accused will interfere with witness when granted bail. It also failed to challenge the fact that the accused did not test liberty when he was granted bail as he was arrested soon after his release from remand prison,” said Ndirowei.

The magistrate also ordered police not to bring Mliswa’s case in installments saying because of this the Harare businessman had never tasted freedom since he was last granted bail more than a month ago.

He urged the police to employ a holistic approach to the cases involving Mliswa arguing that bringing them to court in installments would infringe on his rights.

Mliswa was arrested more than a month ago after launching a stunning attack on police commissioner Augustine Chihuri accusing him of being corrupt. Police then went overdrive and started pulling out old cases some dating back to nearly a decade ago.

Each time he was granted bail, police would move in to arrest him and was kept incarcerated for more than a month while fresh cases kept coming through.

Mliswa’s continued incarceration is reminiscent of the way police and the system kept in jail the likes of Roy Bennett and Jestina Mukoko only for them to be cleared by the courts.

Police officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Homicide Section could be seen milling around at the Harare magistrates court raising fears they could have been planning to arrest him.