The hearing continues into the next day, being a Friday.
Joubert Mudzumwe, national chairman and interim leader of the
Mutambara led group, together with 13 others, are seeking an order to declare the January 08, 2011 MDC-M elective congress null and void.
They accuse Industry Minister Welshman Ncube, then party secretary general, of violating the party’s constitution in calling for a
congress that saw him ousting Mutambara, who is the country’s Deputy Prime Minister, from the helm of the embattled party.
MDC-N national organising secretary, Qhubani Moyo told RadioVop the party was taking the matter seriously.
“We are taking the case seriously. We have hired star advocate Adrian De Bourbon to represent our party. I would not want to comment further on the case now save to say that everyone knew ‘who’ was at the congress in January last year,” he said in apparent reference to Mutambara, who voluntarily handed over the reigns to Ncube.
In the past few months, Mutambara’s faction have seen its delegates being blocked from participating in events intended for the country’s three co-governing parties.
In June last year, Mutambara’s loyalists, Mudzumwe and Tsitsi Dangarembga’s attempts to gatecrash into a SADC summit as co-negotiators of Zimbabwe’s unity arrangement fell flat after they were barred from entering the Sandton, South Africa summit.
Both are national executive members of the Mutambara led group.
Mudzumwe and his flock were also humilitated by being barred from entering the Harare International Conference Centre last November where the central committee and national executives of three GNU partners were taking part in an anti-violence indaba.
Mutambara has also suffered personal set backs after the Bulawayo High Court granted an application by Ncube that sought to stop him from “masquerading” as president of the smaller MDC.
Ncube’s also wants Mutambara dethroned as Deputy Premier.
The prestigious post is, according to the 2008 unity agreement, supposed to be occupied by leaders of the three GNU partners.