The Gauteng government will establish an office to help foreign nationals, as part of plans to curb xenophobic violence, the province’s infrastructure development MEC said on Friday.
”The premier has also announced that we shall establish an office for foreign nationals to engage with the Gauteng government and to be assisted with various needs,” read a statement from Nandi Mayathula-Khoza’s office.
”This space will also be used for ongoing dialogue amongst us as African brothers and sisters on matters that affect us all,” she said.
Further details, such as the opening date, address and contact details of the office were not immediately available.
Seven people have died in xenophobic violence last month.
Earlier this week, the eThekwini municipality announced that R10m had been approved to help foreigners displaced during xenophobic attacks there.
The KwaZulu-Natal government would contribute R15m, bringing the total budget to R25m.