Perpetrators of Gukurahundi Will Be Prosecuted

Addressing over 50 people who attended the Gukurahundi Commemorations at a Baptist Church in Bulawayo on Saturday afternoon, Ndlovu said all efforts to bring the world’s attention to the massacres that the Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP) estimates killed over 20 000 people have succeeded as the world is now paying attention.

“At an international level, we have recorded success as we have managed to get it (Gukurahundi) recognised as a genocide. It’s an achievement. I know that amongst the people who planned and executed it, they think they will die before they are arrested for it.

“But I want to assure you that one of the perpetrators of Gukurahundi will face trial someday. That some people will be arrested make no doubt about it. With or without us who are here today, it (arrest) will happen,” he said.

The internationally recognised group, Genocide Watch in September 2010 announced that the Gukurahundi massacres were now classified as genocide.

At the time, Genocide Watch’s chairperson, Professor Gregory Stanton, said the classification meant that the perpetrators can be prosecuted no matter how much time has passed.

On Saturday, Mzila Ndlovu said, the people of Matabeleland should continue speaking about the injustice of Gukurahundi, “Even if they threaten us with death, we should continue speaking about it. We know what they are capable of. Beyond death, there is nothing else they can scare us with”.

The commemorations were organised by the pressure group Ibhetshu Likazulu for the fourth year running.

The commemorations that were supposed to have been held last week at Stanley Hall in Makokoba, Bulawayo, were postponed to this Saturday after police in Bulawayo refused to grant permission that the pressure group go ahead with them.