Security Forces Block Census Workshops

On Monday acting Finance Minister, Gorden Moyo, said registration for enumerators had been postponed after it was discovered that about 10 000 soldiers had been included. The matter was expected to be deliberated in Tuesday’s cabinet meeting.

Sources here told Radio VOP that the security forces were angered by their cancellation form the process and decided to disrupt the workshops.

“They came here and demanded to be included on the lists. When we told them that we were fully booked, they said the process should then stop until they are also featured on the lists,” a senior government official conducting the process said.

They stormed Masvingo Polytechnic, one of the census centres while clad in civilian attire, while in Zaka and Gutu, sources said, they were clad in army and police regalia and forcibly disrupted the process at local Primary School.

Efforts to get a comment from the army spokesperson proved futile while Police in Masvingo declined to comment.

However, by end of day, the enumerators’ workshops failed to take place as the deadlock continued. The workshops were expected to take place on Wednesday.