Tendai "Prince" Mupfurutsa Dies

He was 54.

Mupfurutsa, a flamboyant character whose brand of music became popular in the 1990s through such hit songs as Sweet Temptation and Character is said to have succumbed to a cancer ailment that he has been battling for a long time.

 He was first pronounced dead sometime this year after his return from China where he has been seeking medical attention.

He however later came out to refute the reports.

According to his close friends whom he has been working with in the music industry, Mupfurutsa died soon after arriving back home from China where he has been receiving cancer treatment for the past six

A family representative told Radio VOP that Mupfurutsa died on Wednesday morning.

“I can confirm that he died this morning. We will announce the burial arrangements in due course,” said a family representative who identified himself as Mupfurutsa’s brother.

Chaka Ngwenya, the United States-based music promoter and entertainer, who identified himself as a cousin of Mupfurutsa on face book wrote  “Today marks one of my saddest days ever, Prince Tendai an uncle and brother has died in Zimbabwe.

“This man was a brother/friend to many people especially the media people in Zimbabwe. Tendai Mupfurutsa is one of those people who deserved to be laid to rest at heroes acre for artists.”

Apart from his career as a musician Mupfurutsa was also a businessman who ran a petroleum company Ekhaya.

His ailment which started after he was involved in a car accident is said to have affected his arm
movement and speech ability.

Due to the mysterious ailment, he was moved to record what was to be his last music offering Something Mysterious which he put together with the help of music group Soul Bone.

The music project was recorded to explain his condition.

Mupfurutsa first made waves in the 1990’s as producer and musician with his label – High Density Studios.

He was, through his company Zimswag, responsible for bringing Akon and Shaun Paul to Zimbabwe last year. The two performed to a packed National Sports Stadium.

He was later arrested and charged of allegedly swindling a businessman of $75 000 after making him pay for “exclusive” rights to sell beverages at the Akon Show.