Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s re-admittance to hospital is “caution, not crisis”, his daughter the Reverend Canon Mpho Tutu said on Tuesday.
“My father was readmitted last night on advice of doctors,” she said.
“It is caution, not crisis,” she was quick to reassure.
The Arch, as he is fondly known, is being treated for inflammation, and his current stay is unrelated to the infection which saw him hospitalised last month.
Tutu was discharged from hospital on Tuesday, August 4 after being treated for an infection, which was a consequence of treatment for prostate cancer.
He has been fighting the disease for the past 18 years.
The 83-year-old had been discharged a week before after an initial hospital stint for a “below the belt” infection.
Tutu was in good spirits when she visited him on Tuesday morning, Mpho said.
“But we have to remind ourselves and him that he is 83, not 38. He won’t bounce back from illness as quickly as when he was younger.”
However, her father is still strong, Mpho pointed out.
“Apart from the inflammation, he is quite healthy,” she said.