Vusi Sibanda Faces New Zealand Snub
The national team, which went into camp on Tuesday, will face New Zealand in a one-off Test, three ODIs and a two T-20s starting January 17.
The 28-year-old Sibanda, one of the form players in last year’s three Tests against Bangaldesh, Pakistan and New Zealand with a batting average of 45 in those three, has not been able to train with the rest of the 20-member squad since his return from Australia to prepare for the New Zealand tour.
On Wednesday, Sibanda sat it out while his teammates went about their routines at Harare Sports Club as it was not clear whether selectors will consider him.
Sibanda is part of the squad which was selected before his decision to snub a contract offer from MidWest rhinos to sign for Eastern suburbs of Sydney.
Acting convenor of selectors Givemore Makoni on Thursday said that a decision will only be made today on whether the player can will be considered for selection.
“A few meetings will be held tomorrow and we should have a clearer position by the end of the day,” said Makoni.
Sibanda, however looking distraught about being barred from training with the other players, refused to comment.
In a bid to encourage players to stay and play in the local league Zimbabwe Cricket set as one of its rules that only those players plying their trade locally will be considered for selection.
Sibanda missed the country’s premier T-20 competition, the Stanbic Bank 2o Series as well as the current Logan Cup.