Woman Commits Suicide Over Divorce

A Harare woman committed suicide on Monday morning after jumping from the 13th floor of a building in a suspected case of domestic violence.

Divonne Masona, the husband of the suicide victim, Brenda Chinguwa, told the ZBC News that they had been having disagreements. 

Masona said after the quarrel, the two resolved to separate amicably. 

The visibly shaken husband said it was during the moment of packing his wife’s clothes that she swiftly leapt out of the apartment. 

In a typical movie style act, the woman is said to have run to the balcony where she jumped over to throw herself down. 

Attempts by Masona to prevent this were in vain as he could not pull her back.

Neighbours, who could not shed much on the incident except expressing shock, also said the incident is a horrendous one but are still wondering why such a tragic script could have been written in their own backyard.

According to eyewitnesses, the incident took place around 11 in the morning. 

When ZBC News arrived at the scene, onlookers were milling around while the police were attending to the scene.

Meanwhile, a Bikita woman, starved of conjugal rights by her polygamous husband for long allegedly set the kitchen hut alight in which the man was sleeping with his second wife in a fit of jealousy.

 Appearing before magistrate Judith Zuyu recently Shingai Mandivengerei, 34 of Zima Village under Chief Mukanganwi pleaded not guilty to two counts

 of attempted murder and arson. She was remanded in custody to 21 July for further trial. Mandivengerei is first wife to Tasara Zima, 39,the complainant and of the same area.

She however, denied that she had an intention to kill the two but admitted that she set the hut alight.

“I did not tie the door of the hut in which the complainants were sleeping. The door was not locked but I admit that I set it on fire and I did it because I was angry,” said Mandivengerei.

 Prosecutors say a sex starved Mandivengerei last week woke up and torched the kitchen hut in which Zima and Mary Dzingai,28  of the same village were sleeping in the wee hours of the night.

“On Thursday last week, at about 8.00pm, Zima and Dzingai went to sleep in their bedroom hut. On the following day at around 1.30 am while the two were asleep, a jealousy Mandivengerei who was sleeping in their bedroom hut, woke up and proceeded to where the two were sleeping. Upon reaching the hut, Mandivengerei allegedly tied the door from outside with a wire before setting the thatched roof on fire,” said Moreblessing Rusere prosecuting.

“Zima and Dzingai were lucky to escape unhurt after the former managed to break the door using an axe.”

The court heard that the fire engulfed the kitchen hut until it was razed to the ground.


ZBC/Tell Zimbabwe