By Dumisani Nyoni
Bulawayo, October 03, 2016 – ZANU PF youths in Bulawayo have piled more pressure on suspended city deputy mayor, Gift Banda, demanding his immediate resignation on alleged corruption.
Banda, together with four other city councillors, were suspended by Local Government Minister, Saviour Kasukuwere two weeks ago for alleged involvement in corruption.
They are councillors Charles Moyo (ward 9), James Sithole (ward 7), Mzama Dube (ward 25) and Reuben Matengu (ward 21).
Kasukuwere said he wanted to expedite investigations into allegations of corruption levelled against them.
However, his woes mounted on Monday after some Zanu PF youths besieged his property at Ascot Race Course where they found the under fire public official.
The youths were waving placards, singing, denouncing Banda and entire MDC-T party for alleged corruption.
Banda appeared unmoved by the protest at a property whose controversial acquisition has stoked fires for him.
He however challenged the Zanu PF youths to prove their corruption claims.
“I am not moved at all. Why they were quiet for so long is because before I bought this land, there was an advert which was placed in local newspapers and no one objected to my proposal,” he said.
After toyi-toying around Banda’s property, the Zanu PF youths dispersed.
The MDC-T official was in May last year granted permission by council to buy 3,5 hectares of land valued at $130,000 for construction of residential flats at Ascot Race Course.
But following his acquisition of the property, a Zanu PF affiliated group, Affirmative Action Group, accused Banda of abusing his office, an allegation which was also disputed by current Bulawayo mayor, Martin Moyo.
Moyo said according to the Bulawayo City Council’s master plan, the land allocated to Banda was for residential buildings (flats or attached dwellings) and there were no planning objections to the deputy mayor’s proposals.