ZIFA Elections To Go Ahead, Court Rules

Harare, March 24, 2014 -The ZIFA elections scheduled for this Saturday will proceed after the court application for an interdict to stop them by ZPC Kariba official, Saidi Sangula was dismissed on Tuesday.

Justice Francis Bere dismissed the application and ordered each party to pay its own fees.  

Speaking to the ZBC News soon after the hearing, which took almost three hours, ZIFA lawyer, Ralph Maganga said while Justice Bere said the full reasons for the dismissal will follow, the timing of Sangula’s application did not appear bona fide.

In his ruling, Justice Bere said it appears suspicious that the urgent chamber application was submitted now when the ZIFA elections had already started way back in December.

Sangula was seeking an interdict to stop the ZIFA elections, arguing that the ZIFA Electoral Committee led by Retired Judge Selo Nare was unconstitutional as it was handpicked and would prejudice his intention to contest.

The ruling effectively means Saturday’s election that has created so much debate with four candidates contesting for the ZIFA presidency will go ahead.

Incumbent, Cuthbert Dube is being challenged by fellow ZIFA board member, Nigel Munyati; former ZIFA boss, Trevor Carelse Juul and Harare City chairman, Leslie Gwindi.

 

ZBC