Zim Activists Arrested At High Court

It was not immediately ascertained where the activists were taken by riot police. Their arrest at the Harare High Court came the same day when the court was supposed to hear a fresh bail application by Cynthia Manjoro and seven other perceived MDC-T activists accused of killing policeman Petros Mutedza.

High Court judge Samuel Kudya postponed the bail hearing on Tuesday to Wednesday.

The Crisis in Zimbabwe Coalition confirmed the arrests in a statement at 1030am on Wednesday.

Radio VOP later established that those arrested are 13 members of the Restoration of Human Rights (ROHR), a Zimbabwe pressure group.

Eyewitnesses said security personnel at the Munhumutapa Government complex opposite the High Court were the ones who called for the police reaction squad, popularly known as “riot police” over the presence of the 13 at the High Court.

“The police officers manning the Munhumutapa complex are the ones who called the riot police to come and pick up the 13 who were staging a demonstration at the High Court.

“They were immediately whisked away by the police. We suspect they might have been taken to Harare Central Police station,” said an eyewitness.

Police spokesperson, Senior Assistant Commissioner, Wayne Bvudzijena could not immediately confirm the arrest.

“We will need time to check on the information. I cannot do that right away. You can call me later,” said Bvudzijena.

No statement could be obtained from ROHR Zimbabwe officials as their phones were unreachable.

The bail application for activists who were arrested for allegedly murdering Inspector Mutedza was postponed to Thursday morning.

State counsel, Edmore Nyazamba failed to turn up in court on Tuesday because he had an appointment with the doctor.

However, two other MDC-T activists, Zwelibanzi Dube and Edwin Muingiri, who were jointly represented by Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR) lawyer, Jeremiah Bhamu tasted freedom on Wednesday after the High Court granted that they should be released from custody on bail.

Justice Samuel Kudya ordered the two to pay US$300 bail and not to interfere with state witnesses in the matter.