A highly placed source told Radio VOP Wednesday night that the department had used
section 22 (1) (a) of the 1998 Immigration Act to dismiss the application because Seintief was not a suitable candidate to be granted a work permit.
Seintief, a former Namibian soccer coach, was deported from Zimbabwe on October 5. He had been reportedly said to be in South Africa while he was awaiting the decision on his work permit.
Zifa Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Mashingaidze confirmed Seintief’s application had been rejected but could not explain the reasons.
The decision comes as a grievous blow to Zifa who were hoping Seintief would lead the Warriors in its international friendly match against Mozambique next Wednesday.
The decision also brings to an end the widespread debate that had been going on whether Seintief who had never coached a Premiership club was really the best man to take charge of the Warriors.
The Belgian was appointed ahead of crowd favourite Norman Mapeza leading to heavy criticism from the football family.
Mapeza, who had been caretaker coach prior to Seintief’s appointment announced this week that he had parted ways with Zifa. Mapeza had been sidelined after Zifa had appointed Madinda Ndhlovu as coach pending the approval of Seintief’s work permit. Mapeza was expected to assist Ndlovu.
Solomon Mugavazi quit as a member of the Zifa board unhappy with the way the appointment of the national coach had been handled.
Even the Zimbabwe Soccer Coaches Association had also expressed its displeasure with chairman Bekimpilo Nyoni saying at least the coaches body should have been consulted for its input, something which was not done.
Zifa, however, still have the time to look for another coach as Zimbabwe’s next serious international engagement is against Mali on March 26 next in an African Cup of Nations qualifier for the 2012 finals.