Speaking to a small group of Journalists in Johannesburg,s spacious suburb of Rosebank on Saturday, MLF secretary for legal affairs, Sabelo Ngwenya said they have already started the process of identifying mass graves and the victims.
According to Ngwenya, who is a lawyer in Johannesburg, some of the victims of the Five Brigade included South African refugees who were running away from apartheid police and unarmed members of Umkhonto we Sizwe (Mk) who were absorbed into Zipra guerrilla ranks soon after independence in 1980.
Another MLF official, David Magagula who is an author and teacher told the meeting that his organisation will soon meet leaders of the African National Congress (ANC) and those from MK on the issue.
However it has been learnt that some of the names of ANC cadres who died in Zimbabwe during and after the liberation war were compiled by Bulawayo based Mafela Trust in the 90s.
Last year some ANC leaders returned to Zambia where they had military bases to collect the remains of their guerrillas who died during the struggle against apartheid rule.The remains of MK cadres who died fighting alongside ZAPU guerrillas in the Zimbabwe liberation war have not been exhumed and taken back to South Africa for reburial.