Police said on Monday one of the two Pakistani illegal immigrants in their custody was on an international terror watch list.
â€œThere is an international terror alert on one of the two guys,â€ said Wayne Bvudzijena, Zimbabwe national police spokesman. â€œWe are cooperating with Interpol as we investigate further the issue. They remain in our custody until we get to the bottom of the matter,â€ said Bvudzijena.
He however, was reluctant to disclose the names of the two suspected terrorist nabbed by Zimbabwean security at Beitbridge Border Post, saying it could prejudice investigations which have assumed international levels.
Police sources named the two as 33-year old Imran Muhammad and 39-year old Chaudry Parvez Ahmed, adding that Zimbabwe security forces were on a very high alert and had contacted their South African counterparts on the arrest of the two suspects, suspected to have been on a mission to cause disturbances in South Africa during the remainder of the soccer World Cup.
The two were allegedly arrested last week on Sunday as they tried to enter South Africa using fake Kenyan passports. They allegedly travelled on a bus from Harare to South Africa. It could not be ascertained what they intended doing in South Africa.
Sources said security had been beefed up at Beitbridge as investigations into the matter continued. A United States of America embassy official said on Monday they had not heard anything about investigations surrounding the terror suspects.