Sources at Magunje’s 2.3 Infantry Battalion told Radio VOP here on Tuesday: “We are just waiting for a confirmation from our superiors in Harare. We understand it must be done within this month.’’
The latest recruitment drive comes hardly three months after some hundreds of aspiring soldiers were turned away in October last year with recruiting officers saying they could not accept ‘’aliens’’ whose parents were not of Zimbabwean origin.
Among those who were snubbed at the barracks were graduates of the national youth programme.
An aspiring soldier who visited Magunje barracks on Tuesday said: ‘’We have been told to keep on checking with them to see when we are likely to undergo on the 10 kilometres race before medical check-ups.”
Early this month there was an outcry from new recruits stationed at Inkomo barracks due to food shortages. About 1 300 new recruits were camped there waiting for medical checkups before they could undertake a six months training.
A retired colonel who did not want to be named said, ‘’The army could be experiencing a shortage of staff due to resignations and retirement of officers.”
He added that although recruitments were advertised in the media once or twice annually in the last decade, the recent move exposed that ‘’the target has not been made due to lack of transparency’’.
There was no immediate response from the army.